Saturday 3 August 2013

lots of vegan esque talking, dvds and lots more great vegan food. Day 3

Had another cool day of just relaxing around my home and outside.  It's so so cool how much more openminded my folks seem to be thesedays.  It seems they're really enjoying their older semi retired years.  They are so much more compassionate in the way they talk about life, health, animals etc.  I guess before they just weren't conscious.

My Dad was saying how he lost 20 pounds over the last couple of years through a more plant based diet.  He was showing me a thing he got from a more enlightened doctor 8 years ago pointing out to move towards more plant based eating and regrets that he was quite dismissive at the time.  He's in the living room right now reading 'Thrive' by Brendan Brazier which I bought for my sister's birthday.

My sister talks about animal rights lots.  I have to stop her sometimes as she started talking about horrible animal conditions.  She's pretty much vegan now I think.  Today I was just recommending she get a b12 supplement which she hasn't done as yet.

My sister and me watched forks over knives which was pretty cool and those same themes.  I wasn't sure if it goes a bit too far maybe.  I am a strong vegan but some stuff concerns me and seems a bit less than concrete.

I do personally advocate veganism as the optimum diet for physical and mental health and that there is no need to harm an animal (to do so is a psychopathic act as some Psychologists hold).  Nonetheless I felt the film clumped fish with meat etc.  I feel fish in non polluted waters wouldnt be so bad on a pure physical level but best not from an ethical angle first and foremost.  Also it talked about being vegan as maybe being the same as plant based but being vegan is a lifestyle incorporating more than just what we eat. 

It quotes the China study a lot which does seem to have good work in it but nonetheless in some ways seems a lot of stats which are interpreted in a certain way and could potentially be seen slightly differently.  It concerns me sometimes as I strongly advocate people to become vegan as a whole physical and mental health optimum lifestyle however I don't want things to become distorted and lack substance for movements towards credibly making animals as food and clothing illegal.  We don't need to do that I don't think.

I do still think however the very main principles of the film are fundamentally correct.  The depressing reality of a brainwashed culture and pretty much showing eating animals is bad for us... eating plants is good etc etc... eating animals causes this this and this.. eating plants reverses.  Such a simple depressing truth.  Shame everyone can't get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment