Sunday 18 August 2013

17 August 2013. Meeting with 2 friends

Met with Stuart.  He was just politely interested in my Veganism which was pretty cool.  He told me openly about some things he enjoyed to eat such as duck eggs.  He seemed interested in the whole idea how I'd got into Veganism from the personal development group as an idea of compassionate living.  I could reflect on how my life has deepened since I moved away and became Vegan and how I got involved with the spiritual development group.

Met with another friend in the evening.  I noticed a lot more here from the Vegan angle.  I could think a lot again about the hardest part about being Vegan as quoted in the other post I did.  How he's a great person but really doesn't think much about eating animals at all as I never did.  I thought of a friends post on Facebook about Veganism not being a cult but actually meat eating being a cult since it is what we are just told to be true from being born as Vegan then not really knowing why we are doing it but defending it.

He by no means had a go at me in any sense, we are friends and he's a respectful guy but it was interesting how eating meat is just part of who he is and the things he said as I wrote in my other post about a friends partner eating folie gras sound narcissistic when written but I know from their tone it is just a blindness and a lack of awareness.  This friend is a smart guy, smarter than me but yet was not able to see or morally engage on that level. 

He mentioned how on Facebook lots of my friends seemed 'quite extreme' in their views.  He mentioned about an animal 'not being a person, they don't have the same developed consciousness'.  I let this go and he was being fun and jokey but while meaning it and I guess missing the point that this lesser consciousness doesn't mean they don't have a right to live since they clearly want to and we don't need to eat them.  Again the whole idea of Vegans being extreme is funny to me now as I think of us eating a load of stuff that grows then think of images of a slaughter house.mmmmm which one is extreme ?

Similarly he mentioned at one point certain animals 'being useful to us'.  I guess again a very speciesist attitude but more ingrained as his normal.  I noticed too how he mentioned about some friends being vegetarian so didn't mind vegetarian food every now and again but didn't like having more than one vegan meal in a row as he would 'start to feel weak'.  Again very interesting perception.  The idea that somehow we need meat and it makes us strong.  Again the complete brainwashed cult mentality we are just indoctrinated with which contains no truth.

Overall a very interesting day of seeing how Veganism plays out.

No comments:

Post a Comment