Monday 29 July 2013

27.7. meat normalising


Have a cold now I've been trying to get through all week. So annoying but great I've finished work. Working on the Go Veg stall tomorrow will be great.  I love passing on info about being vegan.
I've thought a lot today about Russel Howard who was on tv a few nights ago.  Funny comedian.  I saw him live in the UK once.

It reminded me though of a blog I read about 'the most difficult thing about being vegan' how well meaning people who are so sound in other ways routinely eat animals.  He made a joke about going to the sandwich store and seeing the 'cruelty free' option.  I guess we can assume this didn't contain animals.  He then made a crack along the lines of the one he got being cruelty free still as it was a sausage roll meaning that the pig which would otherwise be cold was being wrapped nicely in
a blanket.  Met with lots of laughter from the audience.  He didn't seem in the least bit narcissistic in the way he expressed it but it couldn't help but stand out to me as obviously so cruel in relation to the rest of his jokes.  It showed that whole complete normalising of such behaviour.

No comments:

Post a Comment